For our first project we decided to attack was the ceilings. The ceiling in the dining and living area were pretty fugly. The living room had ugly ceiling tile and the dining room had a bad popcorn texture sprayed on it (it was also sprayed on the crown molding). Another issue with the ceiling was the only light we had was in the dining room. The house got pretty dark at night.
We decided to take down the living room tiles first. We found a textured plaster ceiling that bowed pretty bad. After finding this beneath the tiles we decided to gut the ceilings. What a mess!!! I didn't take any pictures of the mess, but I'm pretty sure all of the dust knocked a few years off of my life. I'm so happy that part of the face lift is OVER!!!
Once we removed the ceiling we found the original wiring in the ceilings. We brought a contractor out to give us an estimate on how much it would cost to rerun all the wiring throughout the house. He said he would rewire everything for the low, low price of $12,000; and thats a deal, he works with my employer and hooked me up. Lucky for us, Quentin is a brilliant electrician and I am a great assistant. Ha ha. We've rewired most of it ourselves and everything works (believe it or not).
Another issue with the old ceiling was that there was only one light in the dining room and nothing in the living room. The house got pretty dark at night. We added recessed lighting to both rooms. It looks amazing! The lights are up and working!
Here are some photos of the old tile ceiling, the missing ceiling, a few randoms including a childs boot that came out of the ceiling near the fireplace. Last but not least, our recessed lights in the dining room. Living room lights to come!!!
My Pet Clock
6 years ago